After watching 15 episodes in, Designated Survivor is feeling like the comic repetition of the Trump administration. In some parts, there are parallel connections, and in some others, if we were to get inside Trump supporters’ minds, this is how they would imagine themselves – fighting the good fight to protect an embattled, post-apocalyptic America.
Plot spoilers ahead
For starters, he was never elected to public office, and only became president due to a technicality. His swearing-in ceremony was the largest in history, and those present really believed in the legitimacy of his presidency.
He has led a holy crusade against the ravaging mainstream media, who keeps running hit pieces on dear leader. The press secretary is misspeaking-machine-on-wheels (phase 1) and then improves and just outright lies to everyone on everything (phase 2)
Let’s go on..
• Starts out presidency by bombing the shit out of a random third world country. Aren’t there national sovereignty concerns about sending ground troops on foreign soil? Nope not really, it’s all about civilian casualties and whether the squad can get it done.
• Lies & flip flops to his supporters.
• Can’t handle pressure.
• He literally said, “I’m all you got” or “what can you lose?”
• Bans all immigration to the U.S.
• His FBI chief is being manipulated by outside forces.
• He duked it out early in the administration with a tall bald governor from a state with high electoral college impact over immigration policies.
• Likes to get around in his baseball cap to meet supporters.
• His family won’t stop with their involvement in business.
• There was an early incident with someone who supposedly was a threat, but the plot never touches back on them.
• Is under Russian blackmail.
• Disregards common sense and prefers to make hiring decisions based on gut feeling.
• VP wants him dead.