I was feeling sick and going over my past reddit posts just to kill time until it’s time to sleep (to not mess up my sleep schedule), and found this post from a year ago that I think still makes sense.
After 15 episodes in, Designated Survivor is feeling like a comical satire of the Trump administration. In some parts, there are parallel connections, and in some others, if we were to get inside Trump supporters’ minds, this is how they would imagine themselves – fighting the good fight to protect an embattled, post-apocalyptic America. In the 2000 movie The Cell, detectives enter a psychopath’s mind, materialized into a virtual-reality-of-sorts through a machine, where there are horrific depictions of their depraved thoughts, but in some scenes also some of them are represented beautifully because that’s how the psychopath feels about it internally. Now apply that mechanism to Trump and their supporters.
For starters, he was never elected to public office prior to the presidency, and only became president due to a technicality. His swearing-in ceremony was the “largest in history”, and those present really believed in the legitimacy of his presidency.
He has led a holy crusade against the ravaging mainstream media, who keeps running hit pieces on dear leader. The press secretary is misspeaking-machine-on-wheels (phase 1) and then improves and just outright lies to everyone on everything (phase 2) (Although for Trump it’s Phase 2 first)
Let’s go on..
- Lies & flip flops to his supporters.
- Can’t handle the pressure.
- Kirkman said, “I’m all you got” (“what can you lose?“)
- He duked it out early in the administration with a tall bald governor from a state with high electoral college impact over immigration policies.
- Likes to get around in his baseball cap to meet supporters.
- His family won’t stop with their business involvement.
- There was an early incident with someone who supposedly was a threat, but the plot never brings it back up.
- Disregards common sense and prefers to make hiring decisions based on gut feeling.
- His FBI chief is being manipulated by outside forces. (Trump and his ilk think that Comey is part of the “deep state”)
- VP wants him dead.
Leave a Reply